16 Kitchen Scraps That You Can Re-grow
For sure, you want to have fresh vegetables to cook and fresh fruits to eat when you feel like eating them. Aside from the fact that you can eat delicious and fresh vegetables and fruits, you can also eat nutritious ones which is definitely an advantage on your part, right? Some of the vegetables and fruits that you buy in the market can actually be re-grown right in your own home.
1. Pineapples - If you love buying pineapples, then consider yourself lucky. The green top piece of this fruit can be re-grown. However, make sure that you water it daily; you can then make it weekly after some time.
2. Mushrooms - Get the stalk part of the mushrooms, and re-grow it in the soil. However, you must have a considerable amount of patience since mushrooms are hard to re-grow.
3. Carrots - The top part of the carrots is the only part that you can re-grow and these are great only for the green value in using to decorate.
4. Sweet potatoes - You must plant the shoots of sweet potatoes in the soil. After 4 months, you can already harvest it, and cook it the way you want to.
5. Onions - Onions are easier to be re-grown. Just make sure that you water it regularly, and you plant it in well-lit area because this will not grow in a cold weather.
6. Garlic - Take the cloves from the garlic bulb and directly plant in the soil in a planter box. Make sure that it can be reached by a direct sunlight.
7. Ginger - This is also very easy to re-grow. Plant the thick knobby bit called the rhizome into a planter box filled with soil.
8. Potato - It is one of those veggies that can be re-grown easily. Just make sure that the piece of the potato you plant has eyes. When you plant it, make sure that the eyes face upward because this is where a new potato will grow.
9. Lemongrass - The root end must be the one that you should re-grow in lemongrass. However, you must place it first on a pale of water, and wait until new roots will grow. After this, you can then transfer it to the soil.
10. Cabbage - The white root part of cabbage must be the one that you can re-grow.
11. Celery - Put the white root part in a bowl of water, and wait until new leaves will come out. Actually, you can also re-grow it in the soil, but make sure to water it regularly.
12. Fennel, Leeks, Lettuce, Scallions, and Bok Choi - These vegetables have the same method in re-growing. Place the white root part in a bowl of water. Wait until new leaves will sprout. However, you must put them in well-lit area like in the kitchen window.
Have fun with this and experiment with re-growing these yummy foods.
Learn MORE / Get RECIPE at Goods Home Design